Sandstone is an innovative technology and healthcare start-up company producing medical products and research tools designed to improve healthcare by bringing the point of care closer to the patient, increasing access, reducing costs, improving sample preparation, and enhancing performance of bodily fluid analyses including blood and semen.
Sandstone specializes in innovation that reduces the size and power requirements for applying centrifugal force to separate, stabilize, and analyze clinical samples. Advancements in microfluidics and mesofluidics work hand in hand with the centrifuge innovation to create CentriFluidics™. CentriFluidics is a new capability that combines the power of innovation in both of these fields transforming the analysis process and enabling cost savings, performance improvement, and access to health care to millions who are not reachable today.
Sandstone first commercialized its CentriFluidic technology with the Trak Male Fertility Testing System – an FDA approved at-home consumer device that can be mass produced and marketed to the millions of people trying to start their family. Trak is sold in multiple channels and has proven that microfluidic and mesofluidic consumables can be mass produced in consumer friendly, at-home use products designed to extend access to health information and care.
The Sandstone Way
Sandstone is made of an incredible group of scientists, researchers, marketers, and professionals that believe in challenging the status quo and acting with a sense of urgency to solve some of healthcare’s biggest challenges with improvement in technology and by empowering patients and caregivers. We have a track record of success, demonstrated agility, and an approach to partnership that places the needs of our customers first, ahead of our own to create a model of shared success.
Scientific Advisory Board
Michael Eisenberg, MD
Jamin Brahmbhatt, MD
Joseph Alukal, MD
Douglas Carrell, PhD, HCLD
In the News
Sandstone has been making news and headlines since we started transforming healthcare with new technology and by challenging assumptions in old processes. Below are many of our mentions in the press. If you have a press inquiry, please contact us using the form below. You can also check out additional press and news information related to Trak Fertility on TrakFertility.com.
New York Times: The Dawning of Sperm Awareness (Jul 25 2018)
Fatherly: How to Cope with Male Infertility (Jul 12 2018)
Fast Company: Can Silicon Valley Get You Pregnant? (Jan 30 2018)
Newsweek: What’s Killing America’s Sperm? Male Infertility Crisis Has Experts Baffled (Cover Story, Sept 22 2017)
Rewire: Want to Make a Baby? These Products Can Help (June 8 2017)
Publications, Grants, & Awards
- L. Fredriksen, U.Y. Schaff, S. Naab, K. Harmon, A. Culver, R. Naval, J. Verhey, M.L. Eisenberg, and G.J. Sommer. “Evaluation of a Preconception Male Fertility Risk Assessment Scoring Algorithm with Men Actively Trying to Conceive” Journal of Urology 199 (4), e222 (2018).
- G.J. Sommer, A. Wesselink, T.Q. Trinidad, U.Y. Schaff, M.L. Eisenberg, E.E. Hatch, L.A. Wise. “Using an in-home semen testing system to evaluate total sperm count and time to conception: a pilot study” Fertility & Sterility 108, e79-380 (2017).
- U.Y. Schaff, L. Fredriksen, J.G. Epperson, S. Naab, T. Quebral, M.J. Sarno, M.L. Eisenberg, and G.J. Sommer. ”Novel centrifugal technology for measuring sperm concentration in the home” Fertility & Sterility 107, 358-364 (2017).
- C.-Y. Koh, U.Y. Schaff, M.E. Piccini, L.H. Stanker, L.W. Cheng, E. Ravichandran, B.-R. Singh, G.J. Sommer, and A.K. Singh. ”Centrifugal Microfluidic Platform for Ultrasensitive Detection of Botulinum Toxin” Analytical Chemistry, 87, 922-928 (2015).
- D.I. Walsh III, G.J. Sommer, U.Y. Schaff, P.S. Hahn, G.J Jaffe, and S.K. Murthy. ”A centrifugal fluidic immunoassay for ocular diagnostics with an enzymatically hydrolyzed fluorogenic substrate” Lab on a Chip, 14, 2673-2680 (2014).
- U.Y. Schaff and G.J. Sommer. ”Whole Blood Immunoassay Based on Centrifugal Bead Sedimentation” Clinical Chemistry, 57, 753-761 (2011).
- NIH SBIR #1R43AI108206-01A1 “Ultra-Sensitive Point-of-Care Toxin Diagnostics” (PI Greg Sommer, PhD)
- NIH SBIR #1R43HD76536-01A1 “Rapid, Point-of-Care Diagnosis of Neonatal Sepsis” (PI Greg Sommer, PhD)
- NIH R21 #1R21HD094322-01 “Feasibility of in-home semen testing in a North American preconception cohort study” (PI’s Lauren Wise, SCD & Michael Eisenberg, MD)
- Men’s Health Magazine: Trak Named #1 New At-Home Health Test (Sept 2017)
- MedCity News INVEST Pitch Perfect contest – Winner (May 18 2017)
- #GameChangers Award – Innovation Tri-Valley (March 2017)
- Molecular Med Tri-Con Swimming with the Sharks Venture Competition – Winner (March 2016)
- UPS X-Port Challenge – Winner (Aug 19 2015)
- 40 Under 40 – Diablo Magazine (Sept 2015 – Print Edition)
- San Francisco Business Times: Top 40 Most Innovative Life Science Companies (May 29 2014)
- Sierra Nevada Innovation Challenge – Winner (May 2013)
Sandstone Diagnostics Awarded $150,000 Federal Grant (Sept 13, 2013)
- Sandstone Diagnostics Wins Award for ‘Most Innovative New Healthcare Product’ (July 3, 2013)
If you would like to join us on our journey in making healthcare more accessible and improving the quality for millions around the globe or contact us for any other reason, please complete the form below. We will get back to you as soon as we can.